Goodness, It has been a while since I posted. I have been so overwhelmed with wedding planning and condo renovations that I let things slip around here. I am jumping back into the game with this smokey blue potato soup. Spicy soups are my weakness. I have learned over time that not everyone enjoys having their mouth on fire, as I do. Ha. So, with that in mind, I evened out the heat on this soup with smoked paprika. The heat level is mild and smooth. If you like a touch of heat, this soup is for you.
Smoked Paprika Blue Potato Soup
Potatoes are such a convenient culinary canvas of unlimited possibilities. Potatoes are a key staple in every cuisine around the world! I personally love potatoes in all forms. Soup is definitely my favorite way to enjoy them! For this recipe I chose blue potatoes [ also known as purple potatoes ] for their earthy, nutty flavor.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3½ cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 bag of blue potatoes - chopped [ peeled if you prefer - but not necessary ]
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon sweet basil
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- freshly grated deli parmesan cheese
- additional sweet basil + smoked paprika for garnish
- In a large pot over medium/high heat add olive oil, then shallots; saute until shallots are fragrant - 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in chopped blue potatoes, 3½ cups chicken broth, smoked paprika, pepper, salt, garlic powder and ¼ teaspoon sweet basil. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer until potatoes are soft - about 15 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, puree until smooth. Add more broth if you like a thinner soup. Stir in coconut milk. Season additionally to taste.
- Top with freshly grated parmesan cheese and a hint of smoke paprika + sweet basil. Enjoy!
Potato soup is so simple and this version totally wins out on flavor. The smoked paprika adds a warmth to this soup that is subtle. Blue potatoes are quite tender from the start so they cook quickly and blend down to a smooth texture. The skin of blue potatoes can be left on and blended down without adding an unpleasant texture. They are the perfect potato for this recipe!
There are so many varieties of potatoes that can be used in recipes. Potatoes USA has tons of information on the varieties – plus additional recipes, nutrition facts and more!
I made this potato soup two nights ago and the fiancé gave it an eleven on a scale of 1 -10. That’s what I call a successful dinner. This recipe will serve 2-4 depending on your portion size. We’re gluttons, so it served us each once. Ha! Double up the recipe if you want to make this for a larger group.
Be sure to hop over to the Potato Goodness Facebook page for more delicious recipes!
Happy eating, babes!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of CLEVER and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.